Friday, April 18, 2008

The First Two Months

They tell you in the birthing class the signs of labor. My contractions were uncomfortable, but nothing like they were describing (yet anyway, we eventually got there.)
We arrived at the hospital around 3:30 am on Monday, February 18. I was pretty sure they wouldn't send us home as I was already past my due date and had developed high blood pressure in the last week. But, nonetheless, we didn't call anyone until we were sure.

After 9 months (and a few extra days) of waiting, Noah arrived. I was beginning to wonder if he would ever arrive. (Once I reached 37 weeks, I thought he would come at any time. Three and half weeks later, he finally did.) He made his debut at 4:24 pm on February 18.

I was thinking we'd have a 6 pound baby. Oh, no! He was 7 pounds, 14 ounces and 20 3/4 inches long. Although, had be been 6 pounds, his head wouldn't have been much smaller. Let's face it, that's what matters...

Everything went great at the hospital. The labor and delivery was much better than what I had imagined. I slept good the two nights we were there. Noah was latching on and eating good. I was ready to be at home. Then the reality hits... The first few days at home were full of poopy diapers, breast pumps, baby tanning beds and little sleep. (He really is a good baby, but there's only so much you can get done between feedings.) Unfortunately, he had a little jaundice and had to lay on the "tanning" bed for 2 days. He only cried when he was hungry. What a good boy!

Eventually we got ourselves on a schedule. Noah is such a good baby. At first we would feed him every 2 1/2 or 3 hours (even in the night). Now he eats on average every 4 hours and goes up to 7 at night. We're well on our way to a full nights sleep and he's just two months old.

He has such a cute smile. He started smiling at me when I go to get him up from his naps...even if he was crying for me to come get him.

At his one month check up, he weighed 10 pounds, 10 ounces and was 22 1/2 inches long. He likes to eat. He's in the 90th percentile for height and 75th for weight. Can't wait to see the report at his two month check up.

He had his first earthquake last night (mommy's too). I had just put him back down in the playyard at the end of our bed and turned on the vibrator. The bed started shaking and I thought the playyard had slowly vibrated over and was hitting the bed. So, I got up to reposition it. The playyard was nowhere near the end of the bed. I had also noticed the windows were rattling. So, my next thought was it was a bad storm and I'd better take Noah to the basement. A bad storm outside wouldn't make the candles on the dresser shake like that... I finally realized it was an earthquake!! Unfortunately, Greg was gone. Noah and I were a little frightened, but we toughed it out.

4 comments:

The Hunters said...

Leah I'm so glad you've started a blog. I loved reading it, and also love little Noah's sweet pictures. So glad you joined the blogger world!
Love, Shelly

Julianne said...

Leah! Yeah, you have a blog! I'm very excited. Can't wait to hear all your Noah stories and see pictures of him growing up. Fun, fun, fun!

Stewart Family said...

Leah! I can't wait to meet Noah. I'm was so bummed that we couldn't stay for the shower in CoMo--too many things on the calendar! Thanks for sharing the blog! Miss you!

Mark Woodward said...

What a cutie. It sounds like things are going amazing in these early months. Congrats again and God bless you all and the little man! Let me know the next time you all are coming to town. We would love to meet up.