Friday, December 23, 2011

You Never Know What He'll Say (or Do)

During deer season, we were at Greg's parent's. Sunday morning we went to church. It's a very small church. We sat near the back with the boys. I was letting John play in the diaper bag to keep him quiet (I use the term quiet loosely). We hadn't been there very long and John pulled Noah's extra underwear out of the diaper bag and yelled "Underwear!" as he waved them around in the air. I regretted putting them in their Schuster sweaters that day... Then I realized it didn't matter; everyone knows who Greg is anyway.

We were sitting at Grandma and Grandpa's eating lunch. Noah said, "My foot's stuck. Now I can't take a nap." Finally, I realized, his foot really was stuck. That boy will try anything to get out of going to bed.

For a while, after he'd go to the bathroom, Noah would make the sound of the water running pretending to really wash his hands. Greg wondered why he didn't just turn the water on and not wash his hands...

I said to Noah, "I need to call Daddy and..." Then I paused. Noah said, "remind him to call the flooring place." I said "Yes, how'd you know." He replied, "I'm an expert."

Immediately after I changed John's diaper, he seemed like he may have been working on a surprise. I asked him if he just pooped in a clean diaper. He answered, "Yup!"

The last time we were at Grandma and Grandpa's all the cousins had little cars they'd made out of Legos. (The big kids helped the little kids make theirs.) John of course had to have one. Every two minutes he'd hand it to me and say, "It's bro-keen."

I took the car through the gas station car wash one Sunday on the way to the church (I had been bombed by birds the day before). We got ready to pull out and the garage door at the end of the car wash only opened about half way. I waited a bit to see if it would open once the dryer stopped. Noah was really upset and asked how we were going to get home!

I asked Noah to do something (I don't remember now what it was). He said, "I don't really want to do this, but I'm going to do it anyway."

I bought diapers at the store. I put them on the kitchen counter when we got home. Noah walked through the kitchen and said "Mommy, we got the wrong diapers." And sure enough, we had gotten the wrong size. Smart boy!!

We were all in the basement working on getting things put in order. Greg explained to the boys they were not to go near a cabinet in the basement, not to touch it or even go near it. Pretty soon Noah looked over and said, "Mommy, Daddy is by the cabinet."

One Sunday after church, we went to lunch. Greg order Buffalo Chicken Pizza. John wanted some. He would take a bit, stick his hand in his mouth (like he was trying to wipe his tongue off) and say spicy. Then he'd take another bit and do it all over again.

Noah has been very attached recently to his Jesus Storybook Bible. He opened to a page and asked what story it was. I said it's the story of Abraham and Isaac. Noah corrected me and said, you mean Abraham and Sarah.

One day a nap time, we were reading the story of Jesus' crucifixion. Noah got really upset and started crying. He was so upset that they were mean to Jesus and that his Daddy left him for 3 days. It was very sweet. (If only our hearts were as tender as a child's!!)

One day, we pulled up to pick up Noah and John said, "Let's go get Noah!"

We often have trouble with Noah yelling for things after bed. You know, I need a drink or asking silly questions. Anything to prolong sleep. We told him no yelling anything once the door closes or he'd get a spanking. So, no sooner did the door close, he yelled, "I love you, Mommy!" (Don't worry, he didn't get a spanking.)

One day I decided not to dry my hair (which I never do). Noah said, "Are you going to leave your hair like that?" I said yes. He said, "I don't like it. Go dry it."

John bumped into the wall and said "Excuse me."

Greg took the boys to get my Christmas present. (Last year, Noah went with him and would not tell.) Noah asked me to help him wash his hands after he went to the bathroom. As he was finishing up, he said, "Me and Daddy need to relax. We're worn out from getting your cowboy boots. Oops! Sorry!" (all in one breath.)

Now that we've moved, when we go just about anywhere, we drive by our friends, the Gilbert's house. When we pass, Noah always says, "There's the Gilbert's." A few weeks ago, John and I were going to pick Noah up from school. John said (at exactly the right time), "Gilbert's."

No comments: