Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Mother Is...

I never really knew what a mother was until I became one. A mother is compassionate and nurturing, you know, the things you think of when you think of your own mother. But then, there are the things no one tells you about becoming a mother...

You become a pack mule. A mother can carry 864 things and her baby without breaking a sweat. She can even open a door if she needs to. If she's really talented, she can also juggle a Starbucks. It's a really good thing I'm not one of those women who has a straight figure (you know, no hips). Noah would surely end up on the ground. He's learned to balance and hang on for dear life. (I did always envy those straight figured women before I became a mom; I thought they looked so thin.)

A mother is also a wrestler. I've master the art of a scissor hold while dressing Noah. He's generally too busy playing and exploring to sit still long enough to get dressed.

A mother is also a weightlifter. When you're carrying 864 things and your baby, you're bound to gain some muscle.
A mother also loses her identity. I get introduced as Noah's mommy. And, hey, I'm NOT complaining! Noah is pretty great. I think it's cute he's so famous.

A mother gets sneezed on, peed on, puked on, pooped on and she doesn't really mind. At least I've never had poop in my mouth like some people (click here for full story).

You become a master tricker when you become a mother. Noah doesn't so much like hard boiled eggs, but he'll eat it if I give him a fork and let him do it himself. He wants to brush his teeth himself, but he can't quite do a good job just yet. So, we use the 2 toothbrush method. He gets one and I get one.

Most importantly, when I became a mother, I gain a whole new appreciation for my own mother. She has always put the needs of her children above her own. She's the first to encourage. She wasn't afraid to discipline when we needed it. She doesn't take the easy way out. I could go on and on and on... But, mom, thanks for being so wonderful. Happy Mother's Day.

3 comments:

Julianne said...

This was such a great post! Loved it. And you are right on all counts - especially that Noah is famous. :)

The Hunters said...

how did I miss this when you blogged last week!! I'm just NOW reading it! Yes, all you said was true. so funny and witty and I loved it!

Hayli S said...

Awwww... I'm so glad you became a mom! You're such a good one; just like I knew you would be.